I arrived at the boat ramp around 8:30 am. I had to stop to get gas and some live bait for the girlfriend just in case. Still no wind and was getting more and more excited as I backed the boat down into the water. I parked my truck, paid the ramp fee, and pushed off into the already rising sun.
I decided since the water was glassy and the rising sun was steadily raising the temperature into the upper 70's that I would venture over to an area that almost always holds upper slot redfish. When I first arrived at the flat I noticed there were a lot of guides working to the south. Being a respectful fisherman I moved my boat just north of them and got in line with the numerous boats steadily poling along. As soon as I climbed up the poling platform I realized I was surrounded by schools of bait to the right and a small school of reds to the left. Not wanting to spook anything I had my girlfriend ready and waiting to cast. The school casually swam the other way, but I kept poling along.
My destination was a shoreline I had fished before. I like this shoreline because it has a point to the one side and a creek to the other. As soon as I pushed the boat within a hundred feet from the shore line I realized there was a rather large redfish laying in the grass less than five feet from the boat. I made a quick flip of the rod but just the movement of the boat spooked him. Not getting too disappointed I noticed a school of about fifty redfish were working the shore line right in front of my boat. I put the power pole down and quietly picked up my rod. I quickly make a cast ten feet in front of the moving school and tell my girlfriend to do the same. Two slow lifts of the rod and I hear the sweet music of a fish ripping drag. Fish on! Double hook up actually. I step down from the poling platform while I guide the fish from the school making sure not to disrupt their feeding. By the time I made it to the front of the boat my girl friends fish had come unbuttoned. I land my fish, take a few photos, and release him back to fight another day. It was a perfect tournament fish. 26 3/4 inch fish.
I waited a few moments to locate the school and we make our casts again. This time Chelsie's rod bends over and the fight is on. Being that this is only her second time fishing I make sure she takes her time and give her a few pointers. Instructing her on keeping the rod tip up, leaving no slack in the line while reeling, and guiding the fish with the rod to where you want it. I landed the fish for her and snap a few pics. Her fish measured out at 28 inches. We send that fish on its way and get ready for some more fun.
The water was crystal clear and we were floating in only eight to ten inches of water. Our bait of choice was the "banjo minnow." We were fishing with 7 ft medium rods and 2500 Shimano reels. The line was 10 lb power pro with a 20lb fluorocarbon leader.
Six fish later and we decided that was a good enough day. Every one of the fish we caught were right around the 27'' mark. All of these fish had been working a slightly deeper edge along the shore line I had decided to fish. The temperature was now in the 80's and I was still wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt. I'm not sure if the guides weren't getting any results or what because I never saw a guide stick to the flat for more than 15-20 minutes before high tailing it out of there. One guide even decided to run the whole flat right by me on plane. Not only is it a slow speed zone in that area but his angler etiquette was not the greatest..
I make the long trek to push pole all the way back across the flat. All while thinking how happy I was to have a girl friend that actually wanted to come enjoy my hobby with me. With a smile on my face I climb down from the platform and enjoy the boat ride back to the ramp all before noon. We spent three and a half hours out on the water and caught eight fish while losing one. It was a good enough day for me!
| Slick water |
| Ghost 16.1 |
| Double hook up |
| Fish on! |
| Chelsie and her 28inch fish |
| Waiting for the fish to settle down |
Dear Bill Dance: In that last pick where you're sitting on the poling platform, who bought you that sweet ass blue camo rod?
ReplyDelete