I cut the motor off, pulled my rods out from under the gunnels, and climbed atop my poling platform. The first thing I noticed was that there was only one guide on the whole flat, and he was pretty far north of me. I used the slight breeze coming from the north east to my advantage and let it push me across the flat while I tied on some lures. The water was like glass, but the fish weren't showing themselves like usual.
After about ten minutes of drifting I spot a school of mullet to my left. I guide the boat towards them and make a cast. They were really spooky and scattered when my lure hit the water. After some more searching I finally spot a solo red cruising the shoreline. I put the PowerPole down to stake out my position and make a perfect cast. Almost immediately I'm hooked up and the fish is peeling line from my reel. After a couple minutes my girlfriend lands the fish and we take a few photos of the 26.5 inch beauty.
Now my plan is to push the boat along the shoreline and see what I find. About twenty feet down the shoreline I spot another redfish mixed in with a handful of mullet. This time I cast five feet in front of the school just to make sure they do not scatter. The redfish seizes my offering and takes off peeling line from my spool once again. Not even twenty seconds later the fish pulls the hook and I'm left with slack line. I reel it in to find that the hook never made it to the fishes mouth. He just grabbed my bait and held it in his mouth while running.
I climb back on top of the platform and notice a small creek with a ton of bait swimming in and out of it. I make an exploratory cast up the mouth of the creek and notice a decent sized red just to the right of the creek. I make another cast to the fish and it immediately eats my bait. This time I make sure to allow the fish to eat and firmly set the hook. This redfish swam right to the boat and my girlfriend once again lands the fish. This fish was only 22inches and was really beat up. The tail was all scraggly and the scales on its right side were pretty scraped up.
The next two hours I continued pushing the boat north. It was like the bite just completely shut off. Never the less we caught two nice fish and lost another. We did not see any tailers or aggressively hungry fish. The cloudy skies made it tough to spot them since they were basically hunkered down in the grass. So we packed up and made the trip back to the boat ramp.
No comments:
Post a Comment